Why Open Source?
Why should companies use open source software instead of a "closed" traditional software package?
Open Source is a development in the world where the synergy is sought from a community with shared interests. Also, group interests are placed above the interests of private companies.
How about it below!
- Independence: You're no longer tied to a software vendor that owns the property at the code and let you pay expensive licenses.
- Openness and security: You own (have) check whether the software will do what they promised, the source code is free to see. That you are not at the discretion of one party as to the quality of the software.
- Reuse of knowledge and software components. Closed source software tends to reinvent every wheel. Open source software grows organically; bad ideas disappear, good ideas grow and are reused in other projects.
- Open Standards. The concepts in an Open Source project are contributed by developers and users of organizations around the world. This tremendous support transform many of these concepts to internationally accepted open standards. This leads to interoperability.
- Open source development increases quality. Assessing the quality of the software is done by all stakeholders in an open source project. These may be hundreds or even thousands of users and developers. In the traditional closed source development is done by the supplier itself. The supplier then determines whether a certain functionality is necessary and whether the quality of the software sufficient to provide or update.
- Better adapt to the needs of the user. The openness of the code makes it always possible to adapt the software to existing systems, tools, platforms, databases, etc.
Maxmin and Opensource
Open- or closed source? Maxmin's answer on this question is not OR-OR but AND-AND. Use the best of what is offered and fits your purpose best. We can advise on the investigation, selection and implementation of open source tooling. At the end we van deliver some open source packages immediately as SAAS (Software As A Service).
Maxmin and Opensource Tooling
Maxmin uses for its projects for exmaple the follow open source software: